Thursday 2 April 2015

Two Sides of Estella

The first time I practiced my Estella was a practical lesson in which we were asked to create two sides of our character and so I created a side of Estella before meeting her husband were she looks youthful and pretty. I also created a side of Estella after meeting her husband were she has been beaten, has a black eye, and looks tired and thin from stress and lack of sleep.


Smith, G. (no date) Available at: http://www.jessicag.tv/casualty/images/Black_eye_bruise.jpg 

This image was the image I used for inspiration when working on Estellas black eye. In this picture it seems that the bruise is not new as there are a lot of yellow tones in the colouring. I wanted to recreate an old bruise on Estella too. This would be the main feature for the right side of her face.

The other side of Estella's face I wanted her to look young and fresh. As the Victorians didnt wear much makeup I wanted the look to be very natural. I took inspiration from the 2012 film directed by Mike Newell, Great Expectations and his portrayal of Estella.
Nail and Rockett Blog. (no date) Available at: http://www.nailandrockett.com/Nail-and-rockett-blog.html 

Estella in this adaptation is very fresh faced, with rosy cheeks and a flawless complexion. Something I wanted to carry over into my design.




This is how my two sides of Estella turned out, I really liked the way this looked and it inspired my final face chart.

No comments:

Post a Comment