Saturday 24 January 2015

Victorian "Hairspray"

Whilst researching Victorian hair I came across this video.
It is a video by Ruth Goodman the author of How To Be A Victorian. In the video she styles a ladies hair to resemble the styles of the early Victorian ear which I attempted in my previous blog post. During the video she talks about and makes what she calls Victorian "hairspray".
‘Ruth Goodman’s Victorian Hairstyling 101’ (2013). Ruth Goodman’s Victorian Hairstyling 101. Available at: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZLUuRiAt98 (Accessed: 25 January 2015).
The ingredients she uses are;

  • Gum Arabic
  • Rose Oil
  • Vodka/Any white spirit
These things are both readily available now as they were back in the Victorian era. Once mixed together this mixture was either placed on a comb and combed through the hair before styling or used with a finger to smooth down any fly aways. 

I found it really interesting to know that the Victorians used to fix their styles with this mixture. It also helps me when designing my Miss Havisham interpretation because now I know that she would have had something to help fix her style in and so even after 20 years her hair will still somewhat resemble the style it once had 
because she could of fixed it with this everyday.

Ruth's book would be a really good source for me to cite to help with my research. 



No comments:

Post a Comment